GANODERMA TRITERPENES ALLEVIATE COLITIS AND INHIBIT INTESTINAL CANCER
The news of the resignation of the Japanese minister Shinzo Abe made the world notice ulcerative colitis. The root cause of this disease lies in the failure of immune system regulation, causing repeated attacks of inflammation.
Ganoderma lucidum, which has always given the impression of “enhancing immunity”, is actually a master at “regulating inflammation”.
Ulcerative colitis alone is big trouble. If you prefer high-temperature cooked meat or red meat in your diet, it is more likely to promote intestinal inflammation and colorectal cancer.
However, if the ganoderma triterpene can be used to maintain the intestines, it may be able to resolve most of the crisis. Because according to the animal experiment published by Professor Daniel Sliva of Indiana University School of Medicine in “PLOS ONE” in 2012:
Oral administration of GLT, a triterpene extract of Ganoderma lucidum fruiting body, can reduce the degree of intestinal inflammation and damage, reduce polyp proliferation and tissue lesions, and inhibit cancer and tumor growth when the above two risk factors coexist.
Moreover, pre-protection (taking 300 mg/kg three times a week) is more effective than administering Ganoderma triterpene (taking 500 mg/kg three times a week) when the risk factor appears, and the required dose is also lower ( (See the table below).
Protect intestinal cells and relieve inflammation is the key
In the long-term impact of dietary carcinogens and ulcerative colitis, why Reishi mushroom triterpene GLT can provide protection for the intestines？ According to the evidence analyzed in this study, the reasons can be roughly divided into three aspects:
1. Reduce the toxicity of carcinogens: regulate the enzyme (cytochrome P450) that metabolizes the heterocyclic amine PhIP in the body, and prevent PhIP from being activated by the enzyme into a substance with carcinogenic activity.
2. Protect intestinal cells: inhibit the activation of protein molecules involved in inflammation and cell proliferation in intestinal cells (Figure 1) so that they are not easily activated by enteritis stimuli and intestinal carcinogens.
3. Regulate the immune response: reduce the number of macrophages infiltrating the colon tissue (Figure 2), so that the inflammatory response will not continue to expand due to the excessive participation of macrophages, thereby reducing inflammation and reducing the chance of cell canceration.
Figure 1: Ganoderma triterpenes inhibit abnormal cell proliferation
Figure 2: Ganoderma triterpenes inhibit the inflammation response of macrophages
Recommended dosage for human body
The GLT used in this study is a triterpene mixture obtained by extracting the fruiting bodies of Ganoderma lucidum in a specific way. Its main components are ganoderic acid A (3.8 mg/g), ganoderic acid H (1.74 mg/g) and ganoderic acid F ( 0.95 mg/g).
The researchers converted the highest effective dose in the mouse experiment into a dose for an adult with a weight of 60 to 80 kilograms. 90-120 grams of GLT per week (an average of 12.9 to 17.1 grams of GLT per day) would have similar effects in animal experiments.
Since the weight of the experimental animals consuming GLT is still increasing normally, and there is no abnormal liver and kidney toxicity, blood lipid metabolism and blood glucose metabolism. Therefore, for people who like red meat but also have ulcerative colitis, supplementing Ganoderma lucidum triterpenes to prevent and treat colorectal cancer seems worthy of consideration.
Lingzhi regulates immunity and is also suitable for abnormal inflammation
Because of the news of Abe’s resignation, the past research on Ganoderma lucidum was turned out, only to find that Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides and triterpenes have an effect on ulcerative colitis.
In fact, Ganoderma lucidum can also relieve Crohn’s Disease, another type of inflammatory bowel disease caused by autoimmunity, and small intestine inflammation caused by painkillers (see References 2 to 4 for details).
These results further prove that Ganoderma lucidum has the ability to regulate inflammation and enhance immunity.
Different Ganoderma lucidum ingredients have different functions. If Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides and Ganoderma lucidum triterpenes can be eaten at the same time, the effect will be better.
However, no matter which ingredient of Ganoderma lucidum is consumed, whether you eat it by yourself or introduce it to your family and friends, please be sure to choose Ganoderma lucidum products of consistent quality, because only strict corporate standards control can ensure the safety and efficacy of products from strains to processing. Standardized quality control can make products that keep human body healthier.
1. Sliva D, et al. Mushroom Ganoderma lucidum prevents colitis-associated carcinogenesis in mice.PLoS One. 2012;7(10):e47873.
2. Liu C, et al. Anti-inflammatory Effects of Ganoderma lucidumTriterpenoid in Human Crohn’s Disease Associated with Downregulation of NF-κB Signaling. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2015 Aug;21(8):1918-25.
3. Hanaoka R, et al. The water-soluble extract from cultured medium ofGanoderma lucidum (Reishi) mycelia (Designated as MAK) ameliorates murine colitis induced by trinitrobenzenesulphonicacid.Scand J Immunol. 2011 Nov;74(5):454-62.
4. Nagai K, et al. Polysaccharides derived from Ganoderma lucidum fungus mycelia ameliorate indomethacin-induced small intestinal injury via induction of GM-CSF from macrophages. Cell Immunol. 2017 Oct;320:20-28.
About the author/ Ms. Wu Tingyao
Wu Tingyao has been reporting on first-hand Ganoderma lucidum information since 1999. She is the author of “Ganoderma lucidum: Ingenious Beyond Description” (published in The People’s Medical Publishing House in April 2017).
★ This article is published under the exclusive authorization of the author, and the ownership belongs to GANOHERB ★ The above works cannot be reproduced, excerpted or used in other ways without the authorization of GanoHerb ★ If the works have been authorized to be used, they should be used within the scope of authorization and indicate the source: GanoHerb ★ Violation of the above statement, GanoHerb will pursue its related legal responsibilities